Friday, July 22, 2016

Antique Vanity Turned into Two Side Tables

I bought an antique vanity from a friend a few months ago and as we were loading it into my trailer it became two side tables. Instead of a vanity I gained twin tables with veneer damage and several other hiccups! But I could see potential in these ugly ducklings and the challenge was on. I immediately went to work on the twins using my sander, removing hardware, adding putty, and adding wooden appliques. 
Several weeks later, another friend came by the store looking for one side table for her sweet daughter and I mentioned that I had two at my house that I had been trying to revive but that they were in pretty sad shape. I sent her a picture and she adopted one of them to restore. She did a beautiful job and I was inspired by her success in restoring her "adopted twin". So I set out to finish what I had started with the vanity turned side table. You can go here to see her make over.
I opted to do lace embossing on the top and the drawer fronts. Embossing has become one of my favorite applications on furniture. 
I used Paint Couture's embossing medium along with a lace curtain that I purchased at a thrift store. It gave such a elegant and delicate look to this antique table. 
I applied Color of Sweden's Gustav along with Paint Couture glazes, Zinc and Weathered Wood. Artisan Enhancements Clear Finish was applied for a nice matte finish.
If you are interested in learning the art of embossing, I teach a class and you can go here to register. 

Twins
I've worked on many projects that have had issues but this was by far the worst yet! I am going to share several photos with you on this make over. Remember if you have a piece that is damaged you can make it look totally different with just a few tricks. 


BEFORE
Putty added to some of the damaged sides

Embossing Before Paint

Embossed Drawer Fronts Before Paint

Painted and Glazed with Wooden Applique Added

Glass knobs added to the completed table


I invite you to leave a comment or question on this post. I would love to hear from you. We are open every Monday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday from 9-5. New items are arriving daily and we have completely flipped the store recently. Our web store is open everyday for your shopping convenience. You may go here to shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment