Friday, June 17, 2016

Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint Blues

Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint has beautiful shades of blue. I decided to play in the studio with some of them. I've had these oak children's chairs for years and figured these would be perfect to paint in these hues of color. Growing up, my children had a small table in the kitchen and these were the chairs that were nestled underneath. 
I chose French Enamel, Artissimo, and Flow Blue to paint my chairs. I thought I had four of these cute chairs but could only find 3. So I'm on the hunt for one more! 
I cleaned my chairs with Simple Green and used a sanding block to smooth out the rough edges. 
I decided I would not use Bonding Agent because I wanted a little chippiness and crackle. 
I always flip my furniture upside down and start on the bottom first and then the top. These chairs were fairly easy to cover since the surface was mostly flat. Chairs with spindles are the devil to paint and I do not enjoy painting those! 
I mix my milk paint in throw away cups and I use a 1:1 ratio. I like to start out with 1 part water and 1 part milk paint. I stir it really well for several minutes and then I let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes. It thickens as it sits so I usually add more water a little at a time to get a good consistency. Since I like to multi purpose I mix my paint up first, clean my furniture(the paint has time to sit and thicken while I'm prepping my furniture), then I stir my paint and add water and then I'm ready to start. You will need to continue to stir the paint throughout your project.
It took two coats to get the coverage I wanted. On the second coat of paint I used my heat gun to force a little crackle. If you heat the paint with a heat gun it will cause the paint to crackle. Here's how some of the crackle looked.


 After the chairs were dry, I sanded them slightly with a sanding block and then sealed them with Miss Mustard Seed's Top Coat. The Top Coat is a Matte finish and it's a wonderful, easy to use finish.
We carry a full line of MMSMP in our store and online. Go here to order any of her products and supplies. We also have her new Look Book in stock and a few of the first book still available. If you want to take a class from our studio we offer "u schedule it" classes. What is this? You call us or email us and set up a time that fits your schedule for a workshop. We also love to host your bridal parties, birthday parties, mother-daughter parties,etc. at our studio. We provide everything, all you have to do is show up ready to paint! 
Have a wonderful day and I would love to hear from you in my comments below. 
Here are pics of the oak chairs painted in hues of blue -






French Enamel, Flow Blue, and Artissimo with Top Coat Finish

No comments:

Post a Comment