Monday, February 6, 2017

Frumpy to Farm Table Style

Is Frumpy a word? I'm not sure but I think it best describes the table I just transformed for a client. When I purchased this table I thought it would be so pretty with a dark top and white distressed legs - "farm table" look! A sweet customer had those same ideas when she saw the table at Fresh. So the transformation began shortly after she purchased the table and we discussed the look she wanted. Here are the products that I used on this project:

1. Mother Earth Antique Glaze
2. DIY Bead Board Chalk and Clay Paint
3. DIY Layered Chocolate Chalk and Clay Paint
4. Paint Couture Satin Top Coat 






The top of the table was going to be darkened with a brown glaze. I knew it would take several coats to get the deep dark brown that she wanted. First I sanded the top with my orbital sander until I got the finish off. To apply glaze I like to use a velvet roller,it's fast and leaves a nice smooth finish. If you've not used glaze as a stain as I am here you will love how easy and clean this is. By clean I mean no smell, no toxins, and the clean up is soap and water. Let the glaze dry overnight and then apply another coat of glaze, let it dry and reapply until you get the depth of color you are looking for. When that has cured for a few days, then apply a clear finish. And since this was a table that would get wear and tear (like most eating tables do) I applied 3 coats of clear finish.

The legs were painted with one coat of DIY Layered Chocolate. This is the BEST dark brown I've ever used! It's a beautiful deep chocolate brown and it's perfect for a undercoat to distress back too. The DIY paint adheres and levels out perfectly. It dries very quickly and is very easy to apply. Even though it dries quickly I let it dry overnight before applying two coats of the DIY Bead Board white paint. 

I like to wet distress the chalk and clay paints with a dampened rag or t-shirt. The chalk and clay paints are soft and are easily distressed. No sanding just light rubbing with the rag! 

Lastly, I applied the clear finish to the legs - two coats. 

If you have a table that you think would look good with a darker top and painted legs, no worries, it's easily done with a few of our products! We are open everyday at Fresh except Tuesday. You can also shop online everyday here. Have a great week and let me know what projects your working on. Even better share them with us on our Facebook page here.






No comments:

Post a Comment