For these clay pots I used DIY paints and Artisan Enhancements products. Both companies have all natural products and they are very easy to use.
I purchased my clay pots and my plants at the local Lowe's. They have a good selection of pots to choose from.
Here is the supplies you will need to make one of these pots:
DIY Chalk and Clay Paint (Old '57) and (White Swan) and (Gravel Road)
Crackle Tex by Artisan Enhancements
Scumble by Artisan Enhancements
Clear Top Coat Sealer
Leaf and Foil Size by Artisan Enhancements
Foil by Artisan Enhancements
- Paint the clay pot with the Clear Top Coat Sealer and let dry. This product is a great sealer and is all natural.
- Paint one coat of DIY Old '57 for a base coat and let dry.
- Next stipple Crackle Tex to different areas of the pot. Crackle Tex is a medium that will react with paint after it has dried. For this pot I will be painting White Swan on top of the Crackle Tex. Apply the White Swan thickly on the Crackle Tex and you will see the beautiful crackle unfold. Do not overwork!
- After the coat of White Swan has dried, apply Leaf and Foil Size to different areas of the clay pot. Let it dry for about 45 minutes until tacky. With the shiny side up take the foil and lay it on the tacky Leaf and Foil. I take a stiff bristle brush to rub the foil. This will help adhere the foil to the pot.
- Next apply one coat of Clear Top Coat Finish.
- Let the Clear Top Sealer Dry. Mix Gravel Road DIY paint with the Scumble. I used 1 part paint to 4 parts Scumble.
- Apply the Gravel Road mixture with a sea sponge. Use a twist and turn movement when applying this step. Let dry.
- Apply two coats of the Clear Top Coat Sealer. This sealer is exterior grade and will protect your pots.
- And you are now finished with your DIY pot. Add potting soil and plant away!
I hope you enjoy your clay pots as much as I do. I made several last year and they are still very pretty. Use your imagination and create and please let me know how they turn out!
We sell all products used for this project at Fresh in Jasper, Texas. We are open everyday from 9-5 with the exception of Sundays and Tuesdays. We also sell these products online here. Please email or call us if you need any information on our product lines and we are always happy to help you. We ship weekly and stay fully stocked on all of our supplies. Have a wonderful week - Nancy