Tuesday, January 21, 2014

I've Been Thinking.....

After writing the post about two special ladies in my childhood who had an influence in my interest of sewing and crafting, I thought about another special person that took the time to show me how to crochet jewelry. We attended the same church and she was my neighbor that lived across the street next door to my Grandmother. A very small petite woman that lived with her daughter and son in law and who was very talented in handwork. Her name was Mrs. Lavender. I love that name and if you know me very well you know why I love that name - one of my favorite scents.
I can't really remember how or why she invited me over to her house to teach me this art of crocheting a beautiful pearl ring, a necklace, and a bracelet but I ended up there and she was a fantastic teacher! I went back home and the next day Mom bought me some of the elastic thread in gold and silver and I started making jewelry. Believe it or not I dug through one of my old jewelry boxes and I still have two of the rings, a necklace, and a bracelet. I have a few things that are very sentimental to me - the dress I wore to my bridal shower 34 years ago, the dress I wore when we left the church after our wedding, and a few more items that I can't seem to part with. I hope that doesn't mean I may become a hoarder when I get older..... nah!
Well when Mrs. Lavender so nicely showed me this craft I decided if I liked them, then my friends would probably like them too! Sooooo I made a few of them and took them to school that week and sold all of the ones I had made. I think this may have been my first sale of my handmade crafts. It wasn't my first "sale" because I had been selling watermelons and vegetables with my Grandpa Sheppard for many years, so the idea of making a little cash was already in my blood. 
I've always said that I had a great childhood and I had so many great role models that I will never forget. I just need to slow down sometimes and reflect on those that made such a difference in my life. So along with my projects, I am going to post a few blogs about those that have had an impact on my journey of life.
I still love learning new things and I don't think we ever get too old to learn. When Chalk and Clay paints were introduced I couldn't wait to take a class and learn "how" to use this unique paint. I mixed my own at first because I thought it was  good enough. But I found out quickly that was not the case. So the journey of learning continues for me. What will be my next quest?

No comments:

Post a Comment