Monday, December 30, 2013

Miss Mustard Seed's Typewriter and Hemp Oil

I've been working on several painting projects today. As I have mentioned before the hardest part of painting furniture for me is deciding on a color. Today I went back and forth on what color to use on my antique chest of drawers and a beautiful antique mirror (that I absolutely love). I will have pictures tomorrow because everything is curing and drying tonight. After much debate on the color to use I chose Miss Mustard Seed's Typewriter. It is such a rich color that can be used with any décor.
If you decide to try the Milk Paint  be sure and mix it well. Today I used a mason jar to mix my paint and it did great!
The great thing about Milk Paint you can add more water if it's too thick or you can add more powder if you get it too thin. I decided today that I would mix it equal parts water and powder and it was the perfect mixture. I only had to put one coat of paint on my two pieces today - it covered wonderfully. After that coat was dry I took a sanding block and sanded everything really good. This just knocks off any little particles of the paint that need to be sanded and makes the finish smooth. You will notice dark colors of paint when sanded look chalky or cloudy. Don't fret over it because when you add your finish (hemp oil, wax, etc.) it will go back to the dark rich color before you sanded.
I chose Miss Mustard Seed's Hemp Oil to finish my mirror and chest of drawers today. You can apply it with a soft rag or a brush. I used both because I needed to get into the crevices of my mirror. You allow the Hemp Oil to dry and then go back with a soft clean rag and wipe any excess off. You can finish with a wax finish  or you can leave it with the hemp oil as your finish.
I will put the hardware on the drawers in the morning and take pictures of the finished chest of drawers. Here is a before picture to show you what I have been working on.

No comments:

Post a Comment