Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Chippy Goodness with Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint

I took a small unfinished pine stool and turned it into a cute chippy painted stool with Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint. This painting technique is called "driftwood" and it's easy to accomplish with this paint. 
I always try to start painting my projects with them upside down. Why? I think it's easier to get all the grooves and not miss any places that are hard to reach. This picture of the stool upside down struck me as funny this morning - it looks like a turtle on it's back! Do you think it does?  
The first coat of milk paint is Miss Mustard Seed's Trophy(dark gray). I painted a ratio of 3:1 to make more of stain with this color. You can see in this next picture that the grain shows through the stain which is what I wanted.
Let the thin coat of Trophy dry. Then take a sanding block and wet distress with Miss Mustard Seed's Hemp Oil. Sanding with the Hemp Oil will make a very smooth surface and the oil will seep into the wood. 
Next you are going to mix Miss Mustard Seed's Grainsack into a thick mixture. You want it thick enough (almost like a paste) to cover the first coat of Trophy. I used my heat gun to create crackle and chippiness at this point while the paint was still wet. Lastly, I sanded the top again and then finished with Miss Mustard Seed's Antiquing Wax. I love the way this wax gets into the crevices of the crackle and chippy paint. The legs are finished in Trophy and Hemp Oil. If you have any questions on this technique send me a message and I'll answer any questions you may have. 


 And here is the finished stool - Chippy Goodness!



No comments:

Post a Comment