Thursday, July 17, 2014

Miss Mustard Seed Artissimo Part 2

This is part 2 of the cute antique desk that I am painting with Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint in the beautiful color Artissimo which is navy. I mentioned in my previous post that I didn't sand the legs because I was hoping for chippiness. There was a ton of chippiness on the legs and on the drawer front. Since I mixed the paint fairly thick one coat was enough for the desk legs and drawer. I sanded the chippy paint and painted the legs and drawer with Endurance Finish which is a clear coat poly. When you have a lot of chippiness you should use a poly finish. Why? If you use hemp oil or wax it can get under the paint and cause more chipping. With the poly finish it stops the chipping. The top of the desk I didn't want chipping so I sanded the top and I added Miss Mustard Seed's Bonding Agent to the paint. I painted one coat with bonding agent. You should let this coat dry for at least 12 hours before applying the second coat of paint. Why? You need to make sure that the bonding agent has time to dry and cure before putting the second coat of paint. The second coat of paint will not have bonding agent but it will have water and milk paint so the water could cause the paint to lift if you apply the second coat too soon. After 12 hours I applied my second coat of paint to the desk top and let that dry. A quick sanding with a sanding block gave the top a smooth finish. For the top of this desk I wanted to use Hemp Oil. I love the Hemp Oil finish, it gives a deep rich color to the paint. I could let the Hemp Oil dry and add the Furniture Wax by MMSMP for a finish. Always remember that you can add wax on top of oil but not Wax under oil. Here are pictures of the desk as I was working on it. I didn't include the final pictures of the finished desk. I will post those on my next blog post, so stay tuned for the finale of this desk!

Getting ready to paint


Miss Mustard Seed's Artissimo

Let the mixture sit for 5-10 minutes


Before

This is how the chippiness looks after a few minutes of drying

More chippy paint

Sanded with a sanding block

Adding bonding agent  

Bonding agent on the table top

No comments:

Post a Comment