Monday, July 7, 2014

Painted Mahogany Buffet

I love the old buffets from the early days. They are much more functional this day and age. We use them for buffets, a console for our large flat screen televisions, a changing table for our little's, and bathroom vanities. 
They come in many shapes and sizes and styles. So whether you are looking for a double sink vanity or a single sink vanity for the bathroom both styles can be located on your search. 
The one that I am posting today is from an Estate Sale and was in almost perfect condition except for a few water spots on the top. For the top I used Miss Mustard Seed's Curio. I used a sanding block on the water spots and scuffed the entire top for a good bite for the paint. I painted two coats of Curio and two coats of Tung Oil for a finish. Tung Oil is a great finish for heavily used areas and it gives a beautiful finish. The Tung Oil is quite thick (like syrup) but the wood will absorb the oil and if there is any excess after several days of curing take a soft rag and remove the excess. 
On the base, I used CeCe Caldwell's Young Kansas Wheat. I painted two coats and then distressed with a wet t-shirt. For the finish I used CeCe Caldwell's Endurance the most durable finish that is recommended for cabinetry.
Sorry, I forgot to take a before picture of this buffet. 
I hope everyone had a great July 4th holiday! Happy painting this week.


No comments:

Post a Comment