Friday, July 11, 2014

Reflecting back on my Days of Latex

I was looking through some of my pictures before I discovered CeCe Caldwell's Chalk + Clay paints. I had to prime the piece usually with kilz, sand, and sometimes I stripped the paint before painting. I loved painting furniture but I HATED the prep work that was entailed with each piece! And the paint had a strong smell so I had to paint in the garage when it was freezing cold or scorching hot. I had heard about something called chalk paint and was curious. I read a few blogs about making my own chalk paint with a few ingredients that you could purchase at the hardware store. So I decided to try my hand at making my own. I bought a latex base paint and added the ingredients from my recipe. It was very hard to keep my mixture thin enough and it usually had lumps and I had to add water often. I did my research on different brands of chalk paint and at that time I thought $35.00 - $40.00 was more than I wanted to spend. So I decided to take a class using chalk paint and I begin to see what the "big" deal was about this product. I loved how you could wet distress the paint without sanding. We did no prep work and the paint stuck to the surface easily with two coats. I learned how to wax and several techniques that were very helpful. In this class I was not using CeCe Caldwell's Paints but another popular brand. After, researching different companies we decided to find out more about CeCe Caldwell's Paints because they advertised all natural, no VOC's , no toxins, and made in the USA. Well the rest is history, we made the decision to carry this wonderful paint in our store. We were trained by wonderful teachers that generously shared their knowledge. Through our own painting experiences with the paint we have learned so much and love helping our customers.
 What makes this paint so special? For me, it's important that it's all natural and not harmful to me or the environment, it's made in America, and it requires little or no prep. I am posting a couple of my favorite pieces that I have done over the last few years. The first one is in latex and the other ones are with the CeCe paints. If you're hesitant about starting your painting project - don't be - it's fun and it's easy! Come by Fresh and we will help you get started. You can also like us on facebook to keep up with the latest news. We also have a great website www.freshjaspertexas.com. 
Latex

Young Kansas Wheat 


KO with SFT

No comments:

Post a Comment