Saturday, November 1, 2014

Ironstone Painted English Chest

One project finished and several more to go! I knew when I purchased this small chest I would paint it white with a little BLING. I lightly sanded with a sanding block before painting with Miss Mustard Seed's Ironstone. My first coat of paint was Grain Sack by Miss Mustard Seed and my second coat was Ironstone. Why? On Marion's blog she suggests that if you are using Ironstone it's best to use either Grain Sack or Trophy as your first coat. This helps the Ironstone with coverage. I've used Ironstone before and it takes several coats otherwise. 
The hardware on the chest was beautiful but there was one problem - one was broken. So I decided to use the original hardware on all the drawers but on the top drawer I would purchase new ones(with a little Bling)!
I also painted the original hardware with Ironstone to give it a different look.
I painted the drawers first and then the sides and front to see how the paint would react to the surface. I was surprised at how much chippiness I was getting but I loved it! I added Bonding Agent for the top only because I didn't want any chippiness there. I used Tough Coat to finish the chest. Tough Coat is a non-yellowing poly that works great to stop further chipping. I love how this make-over turned out and I am moving to my next project. 












No comments:

Post a Comment